1) We use the Simple Past Tense to show a past action at a definite point in time.
She baked a cake every day.
2) Except for the auxiliary verbs (was and were), the Simple Past verb is not effected by number. Past Tense verbs do not have singular or plural forms.
3) To form the past tense of verbs, ‘-ed’ or ‘-d’ is added to regular verbs.
4) The Simple Past Tense form for the auxiliary verb ‘to be’ is as follows :
Simple Past Tense
was at the library this morning.
were at the library yesterday.
1) Someone ____________ for you an hour ago.
c) to call
2) We __________ Scrabble last night, we had a fun time, din’t we?
c) to play
3) It ___________ heavily two days ago but the garden is still muddy.
c) to rain
4) What _________ you say to her yesterday?
d) to do
5) Last weekend my friends and I ____________ to Bukit Besar.
6) The police __________ a man trying to break into my neighbour’s house yesterday.
7) My brother __________ last night from Penang on the last bus.
a) arrive c) arrived
b) arrives d) to arrive
8) My uncle and his family _________ in this house several years ago.
d) to live
9) The water in the lake _______ last night.
d) To freeze
10) The postman _________ these letters a few minutes ago.